If you have a Mercedes, you’re lucky enough to own one of the best vehicle brands in the world. But having a Mercedes doesn’t mean that you don’t need to be concerned with vehicle troubles.
One of the best ways to get an insight into your car’s engine health is to use a vehicle code scanner. This tool gives you an overview of errors, warnings, and codes stored in your car’s ECU (Electronic Control Unit).
If you don’t know what the ECU does, it acts as the “brain” of your car. All the sensors and components communicate with the ECU so that the engine can function and run smoothly. OBD2 is a vehicle communication protocol standard developed by the SAE. It allows for a diagnostic interface between an onboard vehicle computer and a diagnostic or service center.
We have tested several OBD2 scanners and created a list of the top 6 OBD2 scanners for Mercedes.
The Top 6 Best OBD2 Scanners For Mercedes
1. SEEKONE OBD2 Scanner Professional Car OBD II Scanner for Mercedes
- Product Dimensions: 10 x 2.7 x 7.3 inches (25.4 x 6.9 x 18.5 cm)
- Live O2 sensor test data
- One-Click Readiness Key
- On-board monitoring test
- Display fault code definition automatically
- Supported Protocols: J1859-41.6, J1850-10.4, ISO9141, KWP2000 (ISO 14230), and CAN (Control Area Network ISO 11898)
- Obd2 scanner monitor reset
- Switches off Malfunction Indicator Lamp
- Languages supported: German, English, French, Italian, and Spanish
SEEKONE is a small and lightweight OBDII add-on with an excellent LCD display. It can read and clear trouble codes, and show live data. It also includes a battery voltage monitor, and it supports multiple languages. It is effortless to use, and you won’t need any special skills to operate the scanner.
Lifetime Updates and after sales service: The manufacturer of this product provides you with free lifetime software updates and after sales service, which is something we would definitely expect from a quality brand. If anything goes wrong with your device during the first year, they will send you a replacement for free!
Compatible with various vehicles and protocols: This OBD2 scanner works with multiple makes and models of cars. It supports most of the protocols that are J1850 PWM, J1850 VPW, ISO 9141-2, etc.
DTC Lookup for the Entire Range: This OBD2 scanner comes with a DTC Identifier Database where you can look up Diagnostic Trouble Codes. It also lets you check if the fault code is listed in the database before clearing them.
Intuitive Interface: The interface of the SEEKONE OBD2 scanner is very intuitive. It comes with a large LCD screen where you can access different vehicle systems at any given time.
Supports firmware updates via USB: This device can be connected to a USB port, and it provides you with the flexibility of updating the firmware while inside the vehicle. This makes it easy to use and allows you to do your job more effectively.
- Small and compact device
- Lifetime free software updates.
- After Sales service.
- Free warranty replacement offer.
- One-Click readiness key for quick state inspection.
- Supports various vehicle makes and models, such as Audi, BMW, Chrysler, Citroen, Ford, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Lexus, Mazda, Mercedes Benz, Mini Cooper/S Works Cooper/R56 Cooper, Opel, Peugeot, Renault, Seat/VW, Skoda, Toyota, VW, and Volvo.
- Charges via car’s OBD, so there is no need for battery
- Straightforward and easy to use.
- It can withstand a 15-foot height drop and any shocks.
- You can only take advantage of remote operationality by using a 5-foot-long cable.
2. LAUNCH Scan Tool CRP129X OBD2 Scanner for Mercedes
- Large screen for improved visibility
- Five reset capabilities
- One-Click Lifetime Free Update via Wi-Fi
- 10 OBD2 Modes
- Data Record and Playback
- Languages supported: English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Russian, Japanese, Portuguese, Korean
- Four system diagnosis capabilities
- FIVE Most Commonly Used Functions + Built-In DTC LookUp Library
The LAUNCH Scan Tool CRP129X OBD2 Scanner for Mercedes comes with a large screen so you can have an improved view of the information. It also has five reset capabilities, which means you will be able to reset your car’s DTC fault codes directly from the scanner itself.
The device supports one-click lifetime free updates via Wi-Fi. The device offers ten different OBD2 modes and allows you to view live data and record and playback the vehicle’s information.
Automatic Inspection Report: The CRP129X will give you an automatic inspection report, which means that you don’t need to read your car’s codes manually yourself.
Multiple languages supported: You can use this device in various languages such as Korean, Japanese, Russian, English, Italian, Portuguese, German, French, and Spanish.
Specially designed Navigation & Hot Keys: The device has hotkeys that you can use for other functions such as country and language selection. You can also navigate between menus and diagnostic modes using the navigation keys.
Designed For Efficiency: This OBD2 scanner has been designed to be simple and efficient so that even regular users can operate it without much hassle. It’s pretty straightforward for those who don’t have much experience with this type of device.
AutoVIN Retrieval: If the vehicle information is not stored in your LAUNCH scanner, you can use a VIN code to retrieve it automatically. There’s no need to wait for a week or more just so your device will be able to show you all of the car’s details.
OBD2 Compliant: This OBD2 scanner is compliant with the most recent rules and regulations regarding emissions testing. This means that it is safe to use in almost all states within the U.S.
- Supports one-click lifetime free update via Wi-Fi, so you don't have to connect the OBD2 scanner to your PC.
- Compatible with several vehicle models, including Mercedes Benz.
- Large screen for improved visibility.
- Four system diagnosis capabilities are available for your convenience.
- Supports both wired and wireless connectivity.
- Convenient hotkeys to navigate between menus and functions.
- Battery-less design, meaning there is no need to charge or replace batteries.
- Reset capability allows you to reset your car's DTC fault codes.
- Multiple languages supported
- Requires an adapter for cars manufactured after 2002
- It does not reset all dashboard lights
3. BlueDriver Bluetooth Pro OBDII Scan Tool for iPhone & Android
- Free iOS (Apple) and Android devices compatible app
- Creates a report for your car that examines the causes, noted repairs, and other information from each DTC.
- Freeze Frame
- Live data
- Trouble code lookup and Repair Reports
- Supports vehicle models such as GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Subaru (sold in the US), Mitsubishi(2008 models & newer), Hyundai (2011 models & more recent), Mercedes (2005 models & newer), BMW (sold in North America) including BMW & Mini (2005 models & newer)Honda (sold in North America) including Honda & Acura (2003 models & more recent), Volkswagen (sold in North America) including VW, Audi, Lamborghini & Bentley
This automotive scanner is slightly larger than the other devices we’ve reviewed, and it has a nice large screen for improved visibility. It offers cord-free diagnosis capabilities through your iOS or Android device.
What we like about the BlueDriver is that it creates a report for your car that examines the causes, noted repairs, and other information from each DTC. It also offers trouble code lookup with a freeze frame, live data, and many other features.
The BlueDriver is compatible with several vehicle models, including Mercedes Benz.
Bluetooth enabled: It is Bluetooth enabled, which means that you can use it wirelessly.
Live data: This OBD2 scanner offers live data, which is extremely convenient for monitoring their vehicles’ functions.
Wide range of compatibility: The BlueDriver is compatible with several vehicle models including GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Subaru (sold in the US), Mitsubishi(2008 models & newer), Hyundai (2011 models & newer), Mercedes (2005 models & newer) BMW (sold in North America) including BMW & Mini(2005 models & newer), Honda (sold in the U.S.) including Honda & Acura, Volkswagen(U.S.).
Enhanced Diagnostics: This OBD2 scanner offers improved diagnostic capabilities, which is a great advantage for those who need to diagnose their vehicles on a regular basis.
Free iOS and Android app: It comes with a free iOS (Apple) and Android device-compatible app. This means that you can use your smartphone or tablet as a display, and it also has the ability to create a report for your car that examines the causes, noted repairs, and other information from each DTC.
Nice large screen: This OBD2 scanner has a nice large screen for improved visibility. It also offers many features thanks to its enhanced connectivity abilities.
Vehicle Information: It provides vehicle information such as recalls, service bulletins, and maintenance schedules.
Emissions tests: This OBD2 scanner helps you to complete an EOBD emissions test to help pass the requirements in many countries.
Trouble code lookup: You can use its trouble code lookup with a freeze frame, live data.
Report generation: This OBD2 scanner can help you generate a report for your car that examines the causes, noted repairs, and other information from each DTC.
Analyze engine operation: It can analyze engine operation to ensure that all major parts and components are working properly.
- Free iOS (Apple) and Android devices compatible app
- Compatible with several car models, including Mercedes Benz
- Easy to use and highly versatile design makes
- The BlueDriver is Bluetooth enabled for wireless diagnosis
- Creates a report for your car that examines the causes, noted repairs, and other
- Live data and Freeze Frame (instant playback of sensor values for any point in time)
- Its specialty monitor features work with select vehicles.
- Lacks some features found in other Professional Diagnostic tools
4. iCarsoft MBII for Mercedes Benz/Sprinter/Smart Professional Diagnostic Tool
- Supports Live Data.
- The EPB system maintenance disables and reactivates the EPB system for replacement and re-initialization.
- Support Oil Service Reset
- Reads and clears DTC
- Languages supported: Portuguese, English, Spanish, Korean Germ, Dutch, French, and Russian
- Supports freeze frame
- Bluetooth 4.0 enabled]
- Reads and clears codes such as Airmatic, instrument cluster, airbag, Parktronic ABS, transmission, and engine
iCarsoft MBII Scanner is exclusively designed for Mercedes Benz/Sprinter. It offers enhanced connectivity and functionality for Mercedes models.
It is compatible with most Mercedes Benz models manufactured after 2000. It offers instant playback of sensor values for any point in time while also providing live data information that helps you analyze your car’s operations while still on the road and find out what might be wrong if there’s an abnormal reading.
You can also save this information in your computer for future reference along with other diagnostic reports that you’ve created to compare with later on. It is a good investment for Mercedes owners who need something affordable yet functional.
Full ECU diagnosis: It offers functionalities for ABS, airbag, instrument cluster, airmatic, engine, transmission, and other modules.
No batteries required: It has no batteries to replace because it gets power directly from the OBD2 connector itself.
Troubleshooting with live data: You can view an instant playback of sensor values that are taking place while you are on the road. This helps you determine if there are any malfunctions that need to be attended to, which can help reduce costs when seeking professional assistance.
I/M Readiness: It can display readiness monitors for Inspection and Maintenance testing.
On-Board Monitoring: You can perform OBD2 system checks for trouble codes, the MIL status, and the readiness monitors.
View freeze frame data: You can view information like engine load, RPM, speed and other details about what was taking place at the time of an emission-related malfunction.
Recalls: It offers recall detection that helps identify if your Mercedes Benz has any outstanding recall notices.
Additional features: It offers O2 sensor test, Evap check, battery registration, EPB Electronic Parking Brake Repair/Reinitialization/Reset, steering angle calibration etc.
- Offers full ECU diagnosis for most Mercedes Benz models manufactured after 2000
- It offers advanced diagnosis
- Supports live data and instant playback of sensor values for any point in time.
- Can read readiness monitors for Inspection and Maintenance testing.
- It is affordable.
- Only supports Mercedes Benz models manufactured after 2000.
- It is not programmable.
- It does not reset service reminders on all of the Mercedes cars.
- Only works with Mercedes Benz models with a 38 pin connection.
- It does not store codes and only allows users to write down the codes when connected to the vehicle.
5. Foseal WiFi Diagnostic Tool for Mercedes Benz
- Universal Compatibility
- Displays all current sensor data.
- Read, scan, and erase DTC
- iOS & Android compatible
- Small and compact
- Supported OBD2 Protocols: J1850 PWM, J1850 VPW, ISO 9141-2, ISO14230-4 (KWP2000), ISO 15765-4 (CAN-BUS
At first glance, Foseal WiFi Diagnostic Tool for Mercedes Benz doesn’t look like much. It’s small and compact, and the design looks pretty simple and has an oblong shape that will depend on how you want to hold it while working with it.
The good thing about this diagnostic tool is that it is effective. It displays all current sensor data and reads, scans, and erases Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC).
It is compatible with most OBD2 Protocols such as J1850 PWM, J1850 VPW, ISO9141-2, ISO14230-4 (KWP2000), ISO 15765-4 (CAN-BUS.
With this diagnostic you can effectively monitor Intake Manifolds, Coolant Temperature Engine RPM, Calculated Load Value, Horse Power, O2 sensor voltages, Fuel System Status, Intake Air Temperature Pressure, Air Flow Rate, etc.
Plug and play: It is very easy to connect because it requires no wires or software installation. All you need to do is connect the OBD2 connector in your Mercedes Benz, turn on the key and switch on the WiFi in your mobile device. That’s all there is to it!
Works with various iOS and Android apps: Torque Lite, Torque Pro, ScanTool OBD2, OBD Fusion, etc.
Wireless: You can connect to your vehicle wirelessly using your Smartphone or tablet via Wi-Fi.
3,000 generic code definitions database: It has a built-in database that will identify the most trouble codes.
Resets Check Engine light: It can Reset a Check Engine light that is caused by an OBD2 emissions-related diagnostic trouble code.
- Foseal WiFi Diagnostic Tool for Mercedes Benz is compatible with both iOS and Android devices.
- It is a simple design.
- Easy to use and set up.
- Small and compact
- Universal Compatibility
- Reads, erases, and displays DTC.
- Supports most OBD2 Protocols
- Possible Wi-Fi connection issues.
- Lacks Bluetooth connectivity
6. FOXWELL NT301 Code Reader
- One-click readiness key
- Live data graphing and logging
- VIN Retrieval
- Supported languages: English, French, Portuguese, Magyar, Nederland’s, Swedish, Russian, Spanish, German, and Italian.
- Supported OBD2 Protocols: J1859-41.6, J1850-10.4, ISO9141, KWP2000 (ISO 14230), CAN (Control Area Network ISO 11898).
- OBD2 monitors supported: Misfire Monitor, Fuel System Monitor, Comprehensive Components Monitor, Catalyst Monitor, Heated Catalyst Monitor, Evaporative System Monitor, Secondary Air System Monitor, Air Conditioning Refrigerant Monitor, Oxygen Sensor Monitor, Oxygen Sensor Heater Monitor, Exhaust Gas Recirculation System Monitor
- On-board monitoring test
- When you press the HELP button, it automatically displays the fault code’s definition and gives possible causes.
- Check engine/live O2 sensor test data.
The FOXWELL NT301 Code Reader is among the best OBD2 scanners for Mercedes. It is a professional scanner that can read and erase car trouble codes, live data and also graph the live data.
This diagnostic tool supports most OBD2 Protocols such as J1859-41.6, J1850-10.4, ISO9141, KWP2000 (ISO 14230), CAN (Control Area Network ISO 11898).
It exhaustively supports several OBD2 monitors such as Misfire Monitor, Fuel System Monitor, Comprehensive Components Monitor, Catalyst Monitor, Heated Catalyst Monitor, Evaporative System Monitor, Secondary Air System Monitor, Air Conditioning Refrigerant Monitor, Oxygen Sensor Monitor, Oxygen Sensor Heater Monitor, Exhaust Gas Recirculation System monitor, etc.
This diagnostic tool also provides a one-click readiness key. It also features a live data graphing and logging that can record more than 30,000 points of data for each session, which you can keep track of the performance of your car.
In addition, it comes with a VIN Retrieval function that allows you to retrieve vehicle information from the onboard computer.
This diagnostic tool provides a simple interface that allows you to read and erase car trouble codes, live data and also graph the live data on your Android devices.
You can mount this scanner in minutes without any special tools- simply plug it into the OBD2 port in your car and pair the device to your phone via Bluetooth. Then, you can start monitoring engine performance, tracking vehicle location, or running diagnostics on your Mercedes Benz!
Automatic VIN Acquisition: It has an Automatic VIN acquisition feature that automatically detects and displays your vehicle’s Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). This is an important feature to have if you are looking for a Mercedes OBD2 scanner because it makes it easier to diagnose your vehicle.
DTC Lookup: This OBD2 scanner is very helpful when diagnosing automotive problems. It can help you identify the problem and even give you a list of codes that may be causing the issue.
I/M readiness test: This tool is capable of doing state-mandated emissions inspection required for cars and trucks in the US.
Free One-click lifetime update: it has free lifetime updates. This ensures that you always have access to the latest software and calibrations, which can be critical in some cases.
- It is a simple design.
- Provides a rich set-up of functions including Read & Clear Codes
- Life-long Free Updates
- No need for a battery as it is powered by the vehicle
- The DTC Lookup feature allows you to know what is wrong with your vehicle.
- It has an extensive 3-year warranty
- Clear engine DTCs
- Cancels only engine error codes
- The User manual isn't clear
- Has a lot of buttons which can be confusing
Categories of OBD2 Scanner
If you’re looking for the best OBD2 scanner for Mercedes, there are a few different categories of scanners to choose from. Some scanners are only compatible with certain car models, while others are compatible with all cars.
Basic Code Reader
Basic code readers are one of the most popular OBD2 scanners for Mercedes. They are low priced and limited in functionality. They are capable of reading and clearing error codes.
This type of scanner is equipped with more advanced diagnostic features and costs slightly more. They give you more live data and they can read different gauges of your vehicle. Also, they can do what basic code readers can do.
Professional OBD2 scanners
This type of scanner is the kind you find at garages or is used by professional mechanics. It costs a lot compared to basic Code Reader and DIY scanners. It can perform in-depth diagnostics and also provide live data for live engine control.
They come with full-range software with ECU programming and ECU adaptations capabilities. They are also equipped with various connectors for different vehicle models. The Professional OBD2 scanners, unlike the other scanner types, can save data either externally or internally.
Who requires an OBD2 Scanner?
There are two reasons why you need an OBD2 scan.
If you own a Mercedes vehicle, you should make sure to have this scanner on the car, as this gives you access to the very important vehicle performance data stored in the ECU.
Two, you will need an OBD2 scanner if you plan to do any kind of service on the vehicle. It is very useful to know your car’s health before getting a professional mechanic to do the work. You will better understand what work you should do and how to keep the problem from recurring.
Tips on how to use an OBD2 scanner
The OBD2 port and scanner can be used to diagnose and fix most issues with your Mercedes. It’s a good tool to have in your arsenal and here are some tips on how to use it:
1. Buy a reliable scanner
There are many cheap scanners out there, but they may not be able to communicate with your specific Mercedes, or they might not be able to communicate with the vehicle at all. Make sure you’re buying a reliable one that will work with your car.
2. Keep it plugged in
If you don’t want to use the corded scanner, get a wireless one that you can keep plugged into your car’s system. This will allow for better communication, which is important for receiving accurate information about your vehicle and its systems.
3. Read the manual
There’s nothing worse than learning how to use something by yourself only to realize you should have read the manual first. The same goes for scanners. Read through the manual before you start using the device to know what it can do, what you need to connect it to, etc.
4. Use it regularly
You should be reading your car’s codes regularly anyway. Using an OBD2 scanner is just another way of keeping tabs on your vehicle and making
What Should You Look for in an OBD2 Scanner for Mercedes?
If you are a car owner and looking to take a step in the world of DIY car repairs, you need to make sure you have the right tools for the job. A good OBD2 scanner is one of those tools that you need to have, so what do you look for in an OBD2 scanner?
With the ability to detect engine faults and display OBD2 error codes, an OBD2 scanner for your Mercedes can be incredibly useful. Not only can it help you get your vehicle fixed quickly, but it can also prevent you from having problems down the road.
Here is what to look for in an OBD2 scanner for Mercedes:
Compatibility with different models
The best OBD2 scanner for Mercedes will have a high level of compatibility with various vehicle models.
The best OBD2 scanner for Mercedes will be a portable unit that can be used to read and clear trouble codes on all of the most common vehicles. It should also be able to communicate with these vehicles through their built-in diagnostic ports.
Easy to read display
It will provide users with an easy-to-read, back-lit display that can be used in low-light situations. There is nothing more frustrating than having to squint at a display or move a scanner into the sunlight while you are trying to read and clear trouble codes.
An ideal OBD2 scanner for Mercedes will have a large memory that can hold hundreds of different vehicles’ trouble codes. This will make it much easier to use the scanner on multiple cars without deleting old codes before constantly downloading new ones.
Capability to read Specific DTC
A good OBD2 scanner for Mercedes will also have the capability of reading specific malfunction indicator lights (MIL) that may come on in your vehicle’s dashboard. Understanding the code that caused your MIL light to illuminate is essential if you quickly fix any problems.
Additionally, it will have an easy interface that allows users to enter different parameters, such as specific error codes, to download them.
A multiplexing scanner is capable of accessing the onboard computer of multiple vehicles at once. This can be especially helpful if you work on many different vehicles or if you like to tinker with cars in your own time.
Accessing your diagnostic tool through your smartphone or tablet makes it easy and convenient.
Provide necessary information
A good OBD2 scanner will be able to pull up information on misfires, emissions, and even issues with fuel injection systems. It should also have some basic functionality for resetting your check engine light and other fault codes.
What to look for buying the best obd2 scanner for mercedes
Purchasing a Mercedes is a big investment. They cost a lot of money and require extraordinary maintenance. However, if you are the owner of one of these luxury vehicles, you would want to take good care of it.
The best way to do so is through preventive maintenance. One of the ways to ensure that your car lasts as long as possible is by regularly checking its performance indicators so that any problems are detected and addressed before they escalate into something more serious.
What Should You Consider When Buying the Best OBD2 Scanner for Mercedes?
If you’re on the market for an OBD2 scanner, then there are some considerations that you should make before purchasing it. Some of them are more important than others, and they include:
- Price of the scanner
- Key Features
- Software updates
- After Sales Service
- How easy it is to use.
What is an OBD2 scanner?
An OBD2 scanner is a device used to read and interpret the codes given by your vehicle’s computer. A code can be displayed in one of several ways, but the most common way is through blinking lights on your car dashboard. These lights are known as the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL).
Why should I use an OBD2 scanner?
The main reason why you need an OBD2 scanner is that it allows you to reset check engine lights. In some cases, the problem might be minor and not require repair, but only a mechanic will be able to tell you this. If your car has a serious problem, like a catalytic converter failure or a major fuel leak, clearing the error code will delay any repairs. However, this is better than driving around with a check engine light on all of the time because it means your car isn’t safe to drive.
Which car make does it work for?
The OBD2 scanner works with any car model made after 1996. The more recent models are more likely to have the required technology installed. As long as you have an OBD2 port on your car, you should be able to use a Mercedes-specific scan tool.
You’re probably wondering what makes a Mercedes OBD2 scanner the best choice for you. Well, that depends on what you need to accomplish!
When considering which OBD2 scanner to purchase for your Mercedes, it’s important first to ask yourself what type of functionality you want. If you’re looking for something for basic diagnostics, something like the BlueDriver Bluetooth Pro scanner is a great choice. However, if you have a newer Mercedes model, a FOXWELL NT301 Code Reader is the best choice.